Web Shop Search (WSS), is a new Search technology being developed by Web Shop Manager (WSM). It is designed to be a platform independent system so you don’t have to be on the WSM platform to use it (at this time, only WSM clients have access to WSS).
Service level availability: Standard, Professional, Premium
⚠️Caution: Please note that Web Shop Search is currently in Closed Beta. For more information please reach out to the WSM Client Experience team.
Skip ahead to
What is Web Shop Search (WSS)?
WSS was built from the ground up in AWS using WSMs Service Orientated Architecture (SOA) technology.
How does it work?
WSS uses an incremental search philosophy and starts sending search requests once the user has typed in 3 or more characters into the search bar.
Once the third character is typed and the keystroke delay has elapsed (see Default Settings section for more detail on Keystroke delay), a search request is fired off and results will get displayed in the Incremental Results drop down below the search bar. A search is fired off once the keystroke delay expires after every alphanumeric character typed.
This request goes through our API gateway in AWS to retrieve data from your search core, and results are filtered and returned to the browser.
There are currently two search interfaces, Incremental and Overlay.
The Incremental interface is the search bar which is displayed on each page of your website. All results for incremental searching appear in the drop down results list below the search bard.
The Overlay interface appears when a user clicks the “Enhance Search” button or presses the “Enter” key while using the Incremental Interface. The Overlay interface searches in with the same parameters defined above, but is displayed as a new Overlay window on your site. This interface will allow users to see more results than the Incremental interface allows.
What are the WSS default settings?
WSM is working hard to provide a great search experience and results with our default configurations. At the time of this publishing, the default configurations are as follows
Search Result Weights and Pattern Matching
The Product # defaults to display the Dealer ID.
Other Default Configurations:
Keystroke delay: 0s
This is the amount of time the system waits in between keystrokes before sending a search request. A value of 0 sends requests as soon as the key press is released.
Trim Threshold: 0%
This is the relevancy threshold against the top result. Anything that is within this threshold will be dropped from the results being returned from the system. 0 returns all products, 100 returns on the top match.
For example. If you have a relevancy score of 80, and perform a search where the top result has a score of 100, only results with a score of 81 and above will be returned to the customer.
Max Results: 8: Incremental; 100 Overlay
This is the maximum number of results to be returned to the customer when they perform a search.
What can be configured?
WSM has worked hard to define good default values for a large majority of our customers, but we understand that search results performance is unique to each site and the format of their data. One client may prefer more information in Meta fields, while another doesn’t use Meta fields.
We do have the ability to make modifications to your system by utilizing the WSM development team to modify any of the configuration items listed in the “What are the WSS default settings?” section. If you desire to make changes to the default settings, please submit a ticket to the WSM Support desk.
You do have the ability to modify the text and color of the WSS customer facing interface through the WSM Admin menu. The WSS WSM Admin menu is currently only available to users with the role of "Owner"
Is there an Admin interface to WSS?
Yes, If your account is set to "Owner", you will be able to see a new Main menu item called "Search (WSS)" in the main navigation bar:
Under the "Search (WSS)" main menu., there are three sub-menus:
- This is a metric overview page for WSS.
- Search Core (Not currently implemented)
- This will contain information about your Search Core and indexing
- This sub-menu item currently allows you to configure the text which is displayed by WSS.
- In the future, you will also be able to control the weights, transforms, and other data.
The Overview sub-menu is broken into three sections:
Section 1 - Metrics Chart
- This section focuses on displaying historical metrics in chart form. It currently supports the following two views:
- Week over Week (WoW) in days
- Last week in hours
- You can change the chart view by clicking on the radio buttons at the top of the chart
- When in the WoW view, the chart will display the last 14 days worth of data (including the current day) as two 7 day charts. Each week can be turned on/off by clicking on the week in the chart key and highlighted below
Section 2 - Daily metrics
- This section shows displays statistics about searches that have occurred today. Currently we display the following information:
- Number of Searches
- Number of times a customer has used the search functionality of your site to perform a search.
- Number of Product Click Throughs
- This is the number of times a customer clicked on a product card when utilizing one of the search result screens (incremental or overlay)
- Most popular search term of the day
- This is the most popular search term of the day
- Number of Searches
Section 3 - Search Terms
- This section displays the 5-10 most popular search terms over the last 30 days and has the following information:
- Search Term
- Number of times searched
- Number of click throughs performed on that search term
- Lowest number of products returned for that search term
- Date last searched
- You are also able to make the table smaller by clicking on the "Dense Table Rows" selector
- You are also able to change the number of products displayed to either 5 or 10 products.
The Configuration sub-menu is broken into 4 different tabs. Though with the current functionality of WSS, only 2 are functional and have impact to the system
- These are the collection of text which WSS displays to customers and can be customized by you to display anything you choose.
- These are basic WSS search settings which impact how results and displayed and retrieved for your customers
- Fields (not available)
- These will be a collection of search attributes and the weights and transforms used to search your core.
- General (not available)
- These will be a collection of general settings search will require. An example could be the timezone you want all your statistics to be shown in
Tab 1 - Display
- Products Heading - This is the text that is displayed in the incremental and overlay results before product results are displayed
- Search Placeholder - This is the text that is shown in the search bar before the customer starts typing their search terms
- Button Loading - This is the text that is displayed when a search is being performed and the system is waiting for results
- Button Submit - This is the text that is displayed before a search is performed
- Results Message - This is the text that is displayed before the search terms to show the customer what search terms the results are being displayed for
- No Results Message - This is the text that is displayed when no results are found for the search terms entered by the customer.
- Primary Color
- Secondary Color
- Info Color
Tab 2 - Search
- Incremental Max Display - This is the number of product results to display in the incremental results view
- Search Results Filtering Threshold - This field is a number from 0-100 and performs a filter on relevancy scores for a given search and trims away any value below the percentile entered. For example, let's say a customer searches on "oil filters" and 10 results are returned with products having the following relevancy scores: 50, 45, 40, 25, 10, 9, 4, 3, 3, 1.
- If you set your threshold to 100 (only the top match), only the top scored product will be returned, in this example it would be the product with a score of 50.
- If you set your threshold to 0 (filter nothing), then all products would be returned.
- If you set your threshold to 50 (only the top 50% should be returned), then the products with scores of 50, 45, 40, and 25 would be returned.
- If you set your threshold to 90 (only the top 10% are returned, 90th percentile or higher), then the products with 50 and 45 would be returned.
- Max Request - This is the maximum number of results to display to a customer in the overlay results view
- Keystroke Delay - This is the number of milliseconds to wait between keystrokes before a search is submitted for results. The longer the delay, the more sluggish the system will feel while it waits for the time to elapse to submit a search request. Please keep in mind that this configuration setting is directly related to search term metrics. For example, A longer delay will make multiple word search terms more prevalent in results to accommodate slower typers, but it will also make the system feel more sluggish since search requests are being over less frequently.
Does WSS Support Fitment?
WSS does not currently support Vehicle fitment (e.g. Year/Make/Model) or Left Hand Attribute filtering. WSM is currently designing an Attribute Management system to support fitment in the near future.
How does my data get into WSS?
Since WSS is only for WSM customers at this time, WSS will pull your product information directly from your WSM Site Database.
How can I get WSS installed on my Web Shop Manager site?
We're currently in Closed Beta, but hoping to go into an Open beta in the near future. Please reach out to our Customer Success team for more information.