In this article you will find resources on how to set up Google Shopping and other helpful tools that you can use for your business.
Skip ahead to
- Adding Accounts
- Verify and Claim the Site (In Google Merchant)
- Add the Data Feeds
- Data Feeds Product Criteria
- File Updates in WSM
- Adding Shipping Information
- Assigning Products to a Category
Accessing Google Merchant Account
- Client needs to log into Google Merchant Center, url: http://www.google.com/merchants
- Log in using your email and password for your Google Analytics account
- Confirm the site is not already entered by searching for the company. We recommend that you do partial name searchers
- Information in this document
- Click Add Account
- Add the following items:
- Company = Company Name (can’t add inc., leave it off, & is ok)
- Description = copy information from the about us page on the site. The number of characters is limited so you may need to remove some text
- Website URL: Add URL to homepage
- Save Changes
Verify & Claim the Site (In Google Merchant)
- From the dashboard, search for the site you just added
- Click on the display name
- Click on the Settings on left
- Click on General
- Click "Verify this URL"
- Click on "Alternative Methods" tab
- Click "Add a Meta Tag to your site's Home Page"
- Copy the Meta Tag (Ctrl+C)
- Navigate to the site's dashboard in WSM
- Navigate to the homepage, typically Content>Site Pages>Brown Paper Bag Icon>Home
- Edit Home Page
- In "Custom Head Code" field paste the Meta Tag (Ctrl+V)
- If there is already a code in the Custom Head Code field put the new one first, or above the old
- Save Changes
- Return to Google Base verification screen
- Click "Verify" - Important to do this
- Click "Continue"
- Click "Claim this URL"
- Double check that it now says "Verified and Claimed!"
- Click Save Changes
Add the Data Feeds
- Specify Data Feed File
- In WSM, navigate to Data > Data Feeds
- Get the Data Feed File Name by clicking the Google Base option. The file name will show up as a download, also the standard format for the files are wsm-TAG.xml.gz
- In Google Base click Products > Feeds > PLUS Sign
- Type: Products
- Set country of sale
- Set Language
- Leave box checked for Shopping
- Click Continue
- Specify Data Feed File name. ie wsm-dds.xml.gz - get the website 'tag', in this case dds from the file site tag
- Click Scheduled fetch
- Click Continue
- File name enter the same information from the data feed file name above
- Fetch frequency daily
- Set time
- Set time zone
- File url will be the full domain name plus the feed name is https://DOMAIN HERE/base.xml.gz
- Click Continue
- Click the feed name
- Click settings
- Click Feed Settings
- Change "Encoding" to UTF-8
- Delimiter auto-detect
- Uncheck Use quoted fields
- Click Save
- Verify that on Data > Data Feeds for the site that there are not (2) files. Some larger sites have (2) and will need steps a-g repeated. Multiple files occur when a site sells more than 99,999 products
- Once you confirm all feeds are created you can click on Processing and Fetch Now for each feed
Data Feeds Product Criteria
- Has an Image
- Price > 0
- Hidden = No
- Availability Status = Available, Limited Supply, Unique or Inventory
- If Availability Status is Inventory, then Inventory Qty needs to be >0
File updates in WSM
- The Google base file process will run once a day.
- When the process runs:
- it will look at all qualifying products, based on the criteria above
- checks to see if any of those products were updated since the last time the file was generated
- If no updates occurred on those products, it will NOT create a new file for that day.
- If updates occurred, then a new file is generated
- the timestamp in the file "<updated>2019-06-26T19:17:50Z</updated>" is based on UTC from the start of the file generation. This example would translate to "2019-06-26 12:17:50 PDT"
Adding Shipping Information
Populating the TOTAL PRICE column on the shopping results page is accomplished by having the shipping information in the Google Account. Also, shipping & tax is now a requirement by Google. As long as tax is enabled at the System > Configuration level of the site we send tax via the file. But if your site is using calculated shipping (UPS, FedEx, and/or USPS) we need to add this manually to the account.
- Log onto Google Merchant
- Search for Domain
- Click the Site Name
- Click + in front of Settings in the Left Menu
- In another window access the sites System > Configuration > Shipping & Handling for Shipping Methods. If you are only using Basic and or Free Shipping then you do not need to add any shipping information to Google. If you are using any of the following then you do: UPS, FedEx, or USPS
- Click Shipping > click the +
- Add Service Name (UPS, FedEX, and/or USPS)
- Enter Service Name (UPS, FedEX, and/or USPS)
- Enter Service Area (United States)
- Enter Currency
- Enter Delivery time "transit time in business days" (ask client)
Review the methods and select the most common cheapest shipping. ie. UPS Ground, FedEx Ground, for USPS select the method with the longest delivery.
If you are using more than one carrier step the method for the carrier that appears first in System Configuration, i.e. If they have UPS and FedEx then setup UPS Ground first, or if they have FedEx and USPS, then setup FedEx Ground first.
- Click Save
Assigning Products to a Category
Now that you have your account and shipping information setup it's important to make sure your products are assigned to the correct Google Base correct shopping category. This is done by visiting the Google Base website and accessing their current category listings - https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/1705911?hl=en.
- Once there, click on the link for "Taxonomy without numeric IDs in Plain Text (.txt)" (currently the link is http://www.google.com/basepages/producttype/taxonomy.en-US.txt).
- After opening the link you will see the categories and subcategories for product assignments within Google Base.
- Next, navigate to the correct Category tree and update your import file (under category tree) with the information that matches your product. For example, if your product was a tow hitch you would enter this cateogry tree info: Vehicles & Parts > Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Motor Vehicle Parts > Motor Vehicle Towing.
- Then, go to your WSM admin and navigate to Data > CSV Profiles > Google Category Update EXPORT
- Export your products and make the correct category assignments for the products you are planning to update in Google Base.
- Save the file as a CSV when you have completed your update.
- lastly, use the import option to update your products to the correct category by going to Data > CSV Profiles > Google Category Update IMPORT profile and then click on import to update your products